HOURS: As scheduled
RESPONSIBLE TO: Sister Supervisor
This position is responsible for providing personal care and delegated services designed to maintain the Sister’s spiritual, physical and emotional well being.
RESPONSIBLITIES/ DUTIES: (Which may be assigned, include, but are not limited to the following):
• Helps each Sister to reach and maintain the highest level of independence and peace in Christ.
• Assists the Sisters with personal care which includes but is not restricted to: oral care, hygiene, preparation and administration of meals, dressing, grooming, toileting, incontinence care, mobility i.e. walking, transfers, positioning and range of motion.
• Ensures for the safety of each Sister, i.e. correct body mechanics, proper techniques for lifting and transferring Sisters which includes the correct use of lifts, and beds, and answering call lights promptly.
• Observes each Sister and reports changes in physical and emotional conditions such as mental status, loss of appetite, weight, etc.
• Assists with self-administration of medications as delegated by Sister Supervisor.
• Provides for the nutritional needs of the Sisters throughout the day.
• Takes and records weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respirations as instructed. Reports changes or concerns to Sister Supervisor.
• Maintains the confidentiality of the Sisters.
• Attends mandatory staff meetings and in-service training as assigned.
• Performs daily house cleaning duties which includes but is not restricted to: changing bed linens, washing, drying and ironing the Sister’s laundry, dusting, vacuuming, and mopping of infirmary area.
• Leads Sisters’ activities as scheduled and assigned. Provides one-on-one care whenever possible to the Sisters.
• Maintains a daily record of each Sister’s condition (including proper day, date, initials or signature and shift).
• Responds in a mature manner using a kind tone of voice and remaining calm in difficult or unusual circumstances.
• Provides a positive environment conducive to a convent setting with appropriate silence and respect for the contemplative aspect of the Sisters’ lives.
• Follows all policies and procedures in the Saint Cecilia Employee Handbook.
• Dresses appropriately for the work being performed: clothing and shoes that are conducive to health care and do not hinder work or risk injury; free from strong fragrances including perfumes and smoke.
• Avoids smoking on the Motherhouse premises and during the assigned shift (including break periods).
• Adheres to Motherhouse COVID protocols as instructed.
• Other duties as assigned by the Sister Supervisor.
• Prioritizes and organizes work effectively and efficiently.
• Works as a team member with other personnel and Sister Supervisor.
• Flexible and adaptable to changing situations.
• Compassionate and makes ethically sound decisions.
• Demonstrates good interpersonal skills particularly with the elderly.
• Ability to speak, read, and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos in English.
• Ability to write simple correspondence and documentation in English on each Sister.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
• Use hands to reach, finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls;
• Stand, bend and walk;
• Perform safe lifting and transferring of the Sisters;
• Lift 50 pounds and carry 25 pounds;
• Transport Sisters;
• Work while wearing a facemask that covers the mouth and nose;
• Climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk, hear, taste and smell.
The work environment consists of the infirmary, the greater convent and assigned locations designated by the Sister Supervisor. The work environment may also include but is not restricted to:
• Inside work while assisting sisters.
• Outside activities with sisters as directed year-round.
Employees may come in contact with:
• Exposure to Blood borne Pathogens, Infectious Diseases.
• Exposure to cleaning chemicals.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee will perform other reasonable related duties as assigned by the Sister Supervisor. The Sister Supervisor reserves the right to reasonably change job responsibilities, duties as the need arises. This document is for communication only and is not intended to imply a written or implied contract of employment, for employment with the Congregation is at-will.