The Director of Religious Education and Children’s Ministry is a member of the pastoral team responsible for the catechetical programs (including Christian formation, Religious Education and Sacramental preparation) designed to lead children and young adults from pre-school through high school in the faith community to maturity of faith through instruction and formation in the Christian life.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Assesses program needs and then sets goals and objectives for the program through collaboration with the pastor and the Parish Council.
- Recruits and trains catechists and aides for program.
- Develops an annual calendar of catechetical formation schedule and events.
- Schedules religious education classes and assigns catechists and rooms.
- Develops relationships with support volunteers to serve as substitute teachers or help with program needs.
- Reviews and evaluates the curriculum for each grade level for scope, content, age appropriateness, etc.
- Oversees registration process for religious education classes. Follows up, as necessary.
- Develops education plan for each student enrolled in religious education.
- Consults with Safe Environment Coordinator at the parish concerning any required programs for catechists/volunteers.
- Follows up with parents regarding patterns of absenteeism from religious education classes.
Sacramental Preparation Programs
- Coordinates and works with youth and their families in preparing for First Reconciliation and First Eucharist, including planning and conducting the meetings with parents.
- Develops the scope and sequence of sacramental program preparation with input and approval of pastor.
- Develops the scope and sequence of Confirmation meetings, retreats, service opportunities, communications, and rites with input and approval of pastor. Schedules Confirmation dates with Bishop’s representative.
- Plans and coordinates First Communion retreats.
- Oversees the organization and implementation of post-sacrament receptions with the Hospitality Committee.
Performs various Administrative duties as expected in the role of Director of Religious Education.
- Collaborates as needed with parish staff members responsible for Liturgy, Adult Education,OCIA (formerly RCIA), and Parish Council.
- Supports various parish outreach projects as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Pastor.
Submit your resume to email@example.com or mail it to the parish office at 521 Woodland Street, Nashville, TN, 37206.
No phone calls, please.