The Missionary Pastoral Minister, who may be a permanent deacon, vowed religious or lay person, will call together a Catholic Christian community in Livingston TN located in Overton County TN which currently does not have a Catholic church. The Missionary Pastoral Minister will collaborate with Glenmary in gathering people to establish a eucharistic community, and to respond to the spiritual and other needs of the people of the county.
A Glenmarian appointed by the President of Glenmary.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Missionary Pastoral Minister will work with the Glenmarian appointed by the president to gather a Catholic community, provide leadership for that community as well as pastoral outreach and care to the residents of Overton County, TN. This full-time ministry involves formation of a Catholic community, worship, ecumenical activity, evangelization, social ministry, and administration.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Theology, Pastoral Studies, or Religious Studies is required.
- Master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum of three years’ supervised parish ministry experience, preferably with responsibility for the growth of the community.
- Teaching (adult level)
- Small town/rural experience, preferable
- Experience with religious education, including R.C.I.A.
- Experience with youth
Needed Skills, Apitudes and Personal Qualities
- Strong Catholic identity with the ability to be at ease and confident as a Catholic living in a community where Catholics are a minority.
- Strong faith and prayer life.
- Ability to reflect on one’s own ministry, to analyze, to assess and change.
- Computer and social media competency
- Good listening skills
- Good communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work and relate well with others
- Ability to empower others as well as to take the initiative
- Flexible and adaptable to mission context
- Communicates in English and in Spanish (fluency would be preferred)
- Openness to learning about the Guatemalan community and culture in the area.
- Ability to drive at night
The Missionary Pastoral Minister is a full time Glenmary employee. He/she is required to perform the ministry when opportunities present themselves for becoming known and reaching out to those who have no church home. This will include evening and weekend pastoral work. The Missionary Pastoral Minister will live in Livingston, TN (the county seat).