Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church seeks qualified candidates for the position of Music Coordinator for our Hispanic Ministry. We are looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated choir director to provide musical guidance and direction to our choir members.
Director should be able to interpret various styles of music and demonstrate exceptional communication, leadership, and organizational skills. The Choir Director is generally on duty during weekend Masses, holds a Choir practice during the week, and possibly present for weddings, funerals, and special events.
This is a part time position, approximately 6-10 hours a week. This position is responsible for planning, coordinating, and leading all Spanish liturgical music to facilitate the full and active participation of the assembly in the life of the Church.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads and/or accompanies the choir, cantor, and assembly for the music at all Spanish liturgical celebrations including Sunday Mass and holy days of obligation. Has the first right of refusal for weddings, funerals, special Masses, and quinceañeras.
- Selects music for liturgies and teaches music to the assembly as needed.
- Recruits, trains, and supervises volunteer musicians and cantors.
- Identifies and schedules musicians for liturgical celebrations.
- Consults with the Director of Hispanic Ministry regarding music needs for First Communion and Confirmation.
- Plans and coordinates the scheduling, oversight, and preparation of music for all liturgies.
- Provides choir with direction, training, and practice, including once during the week (1–2 hours) and before Sunday Mass (up to 2 hours before Mass).
- Collaborates with the Pastor and Director of Hispanic Ministry to implement music needs for worship.
- Maintains own professional competence through regular music practice.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the pastor.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Ability to sight read music.
- Broad-based knowledge of liturgical music with prior experience.
- Prior music coordinator experience.
- Ability to provide basic vocal training for singers.
- Proficient vocal skill and instrumental skill in keyboard and/or organ.
- Knowledge of Roman Catholic liturgy with emphasis on Hispanic and Latino worship.
- Knowledge and experience in sound equipment set up and operation.
- Fluent in Spanish.