The Multimedia Journalist is a talented, nimble storyteller for the Diocese of Nashville. This position is responsible for writing and creating multi-platform content that engages and evangelizes the Catholic community in the Diocese of Nashville, connecting active and latent Catholics to their local parish, to the broader diocese, to the Church in the United States, and to the Universal Church.
Working closely with members of the content team and the digital team under the leadership of the Managing Editor & Director of Content, this position writes for diocesan traditional print media: the Tennessee Register newspaper and Catholic Awakenings magazine. This position also produces content for a range of digital platforms and mediums, including websites, podcasts, email, social media, and video streaming.
As a member of the Office of Media & Evangelization, the Multimedia Journalist strives to connect both the faithful and the unformed to the beauty, truth, and goodness of the Roman Catholic Church and the excellent works and beliefs of the faith via top-quality content and creative, engaging storytelling.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
1. Researches and composes stories, as assigned by the supervising editor, for publication and distribution via diocesan media channels and platforms.
2. Under the direction of the Managing Editor & Director of Content, ensures stories and other content are accurate, well composed, and meet the needs of the audience according to the content strategy.
3. Captures photos and video for social accounts and other communication and outreach efforts.
4. Collaborates with digital team to create, edit, and produce short- and long-form videos.
5. Collaborates with digital team to capture audio material for use in podcasts and streaming.
6. Attends and reports on diocesan and parish events, requiring some evening and weekend work.
7. Proposes ideas, topics, and subjects for coverage in diocesan media.
8. Meets publication deadlines.
9. Assists digital team to respond to and engage with the Catholic community on social media, including sharing responsibility for writing social media posts and captions.
10. Works with the Managing Editor & Director of Content to produce and schedule content via an online content management platform.
11. Adheres to the style and production guidelines for all traditional and digital media of the diocese. Effectively implements the content strategy and follows the editorial direction provided by the Managing Editor & Director of Content.
12. Ensures that diocesan content and media meet high journalistic standards and ethics, reflect the teachings of the Catholic Church, and reflect the views of the Bishop of Nashville.
13. Writes news releases and communication pieces for the diocese.
14. Keeps abreast of local, state, national, and international news. Presents Catholic teaching in a manner that is accurate and responsible.
15. Stays up-to-date with trends and developments in digital storytelling and multimedia production.
16. Develops and maintains relationships with pastors, parish staff, diocesan officials, and the general public to aid coverage of events and programs in the Diocese of Nashville.
17. Supports internal communication activities for the benefit of parishes, churches, missions, the chancery, and other entities.
18. Serves as a subject-matter expert for entities within the diocese in need of specialized support.
19. Assists in proofreading and editing articles, adhering to publication standards and utilizing house style guidelines.
20. Maintains high standards of accuracy, accountability, and integrity.
21. Uses and maintains a global digital asset management system for storing and retrieving visual assets.
22. Performs other duties as assigned by the Managing Editor & Director of Content.
1. Collaborates by building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
2. Communicates Effectively by developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
3. Self-development by actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels
4. Action-oriented by taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
5. Manages complexity by making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
6. Resourcefulness by securing and deploying resources effectively and efficiently
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations, media production, English, or related field required.
· Minimum two (2) years of experience in a journalist, reporter, correspondent, content creator or producer, or media communications role required, preferably writing for editorial publications, marketing firms, public relations firms, or news media organizations.
· Proficient photographer required.
· Proficient videographer preferred.
· Valid driver’s license required.
· Computer skills to include MS Word software or Google Docs applications required.
· Practicing Catholic with thorough knowledge and firm understanding of Catholic teaching and the ability to apply this knowledge to news coverage and storytelling.
· Prior experience in Catholic communications or media organization preferred.
· Experience with a digital newsroom preferred, including familiarity with digital content management and project management systems.
· Willingness to learn and become proficient in content and asset management systems and stakeholder databases required.
· Possess exceptional interviewing and writing skills to communicate effectively with an audience.
· Proficient in the use of digital photography and video equipment, including DSLR cameras and smartphones.
· Excellent writing, editing, and organizational skills.
· Ability to work within publication deadlines.
· Thorough understanding of the Catholic Church, its beliefs, practices, and structures.
· Highly proficient in Associated Press (AP) and Chicago Manual of Style.
· Ability to uphold style rules and implement standards across a variety of traditional and digital media.
· Experience with multi-channel content planning and management.
· Thorough understanding of traditional and digital communication platforms and their norms.
· Creative mindset, adaptability, and the ability to collaborate effectively with a team.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
· Strong problem-solving skills
· Proficiency in Spanish highly preferred.
· Ability to travel within the Diocese of Nashville (approximately 50%). Ability to work flexible hours, including some weekends and evenings.
· Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Outlook, and Excel, as well as Adobe Creative Cloud.
To apply, visit: