Mother Teresa Catholic Church seeks qualified candidates for a Religious Education Coordinator. This person is a member of the pastoral team who administers, directs, and coordinates the catechetical program for kids ages K-8th grade. This individual provides leadership to assist that community of faith in building a solid foundation for Christian living, ministry, and outreach. As a new parish we want to be innovative and look at new and effective ways to educate our children in the faith. We will be using the “Family of Faith” model put out by the Sophia Institute. It focuses on equipping parents with the strategies and tools they need to educate their children in the faith. We are searching for a candidate that is passionate about revolutionizing the way we do religious education so that children will continue the practice of their faith for the entirety of their lives. This position is hourly and part-time.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following
- Coordinates the family religious education program at Mother Teresa Catholic Church which is implemented through A Family of Faith model from Sophia Institute.
- Develops goals, objectives and strategies for the parish’s religious programs which entails two meetings a month and a calendar of catechetical formation events.
- Designs catechetical programs which support lifelong learning and conform to the National Catechetical Directory (NCD), diocesan guidelines and parish needs in a contemporary culture in collaboration with the pastor for grades K-8th.
- Recruits and oversees the family catechists.
- Oversees registration process for religious education and follows up, as necessary.
- Creates and monitors a budget for the operation of the various programs.
- Adjusts the religious education programs in relation to parish feedback and current professional literature.
- Requests the acquisition of needed equipment and resources which complement the religious education efforts of the parish.
- Coordinates those liturgical/sacramental functions that arise during the year, such as, 1st Reconciliation, Communion and Confirmation participants.
Sacramental Preparation Programs
- Develops the scope and sequence of sacramental preparation programs with input and approval from the pastor.
- Coordinates and works with parents and youth in preparing for the sacraments of First Reconciliation, Eucharist, and Confirmation.
- Plans and coordinates any necessary retreats.
- Oversees the organization and implementation of any pre- or post- sacrament receptions.
- Regularly reviews the status of program goals and priorities, as well as, participating in staff meetings.
- Maintains open communication with staff and parish regarding catechetical activities.
- Prepares and submits needed reports to the diocese or parish office.
- Represents the parish at diocesan sponsored catechetical functions and conferences.
- Plans and monitors program budgets and expenses.
- Reviews student’s records regarding sacramental records, attendance, progression, and evaluations at year's end.
- Ensures that families have needed supplies and equipment.
Education, and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, theology, religious education, or related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience as a catechist.
- Catechist Certification through the Diocese of Nashville or an approved program of study.
- Completion or willingness to complete DRE training program through the Diocese of Nashville.
Additional Skills or Requirements
- Active member of a Roman Catholic faith community.
- Models a Catholic lifestyle with joy for the faith and a positive attitude toward the Church.
- Supervisory skills for directing youth and volunteers.
- Schedule flexibility to accommodate evening and weekend work.
- Proficiency in the use of computers including internet, e-mail, Facebook ,Microsoft Office products and use of Church Community Builder software.
- Successful completion of parish Safe Environment program.
- The ability to maintain confidentiality.
This position includes a competitive salary, based upon qualifications and experience, and an excellent benefits package.
Office hours are 9AM - 2PM; Monday – Thursday. Position is eligible for benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance; short and long-term disability; 403(b) with employer match; and will participate in the Diocesan Lay Benefit Pension Plan. Standard paid holidays and vacation pay apply.