The Diocese of Nashville Mission Support Office (MSO) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Accountant in the Parish Accounting Office. The primary responsibility of this position is to assist with the accounting, financial analysis and financial reporting process for Parishes, Schools and other Institutions within the Diocese of Nashville to whom we provide support. The focus of this position will be to ensure that accurate and timely financial records are produced to safeguard the entity’s assets and to provide appropriate financial information to Pastors, Principals, Finance Councils and other decision making individuals/groups. The MSO is in the Catholic Pastoral Center in the Donelson neighborhood of Nashville. This position is generally on duty Monday through Friday during the regular daytime business hours of the Catholic Pastoral Center. This position will require travel throughout Middle Tennessee and occasional attendance at evening meetings. This position reports directly to the Controller.
· Prepares bank reconciliations, journal entries and other transactions to produce and analyze monthly financial statements.
· Prepares financial summaries to present the financial statements in narrative format to assist in explanation of comparative analyses and all financial results.
· Provides respectful guidance and assistance to parish pastors, parish business managers, bookkeepers and finance council members regarding the prudent stewardship of parish assets and other financial management procedures.
· Assists in policy development and methods of implementation to improve internal control processes.
· Inspects Accounting System general ledger transactions for appropriate recording and classifications.
· Processes Payroll on a routine basis and ensures accuracy of payroll and employee benefit procedures.
· Prepares 1099 Forms and other Federal forms, such as ACA reporting, on an annual basis.
· Assists in preparation of operating budgets.
· Presents financial reports as needed at parish/school finance council meetings.
· Serves as a resource for Pastors and their Finance Committees in assisting parish bookkeepers with accounting and payroll issues.
· Reviews parish’s conformity to Diocesan policies and procedures.
· Coordinates Diocesan training classes to ensure parish staff members understand and can continue performing appropriate accounting procedures in their specific parish responsibilities and duties.
· Assists Diocesan Controller with special projects and other duties as requested.
· Bachelor's Degree in Accounting preferred.
· Minimum of five (5) years of accounting experience
· Ability to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
· Good attention to detail and accuracy.
· Understand, respect, and support Catholic Church teaching, mission, and values.
· Ability to correctly interpret and analyze financial information.
· Proficiency in the use of accounting software including management of chart of accounts, journal entries, AP/AR, and fixed assets/depreciation.
· Knowledge of Parish Data Systems (PDS) helpful.
· Competent in the use of Microsoft Office products (especially Excel and Word).
· Good reasoning ability regarding accounting transactions.
· Strong interpersonal skills for working with and presenting information to pastors, administrators and finance councils.
· Professional written and verbal communication skills.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion in working with confidential/sensitive information.
· Valid Tennessee Driver’s License and able to travel to all Parishes in the Diocese of Nashville.
· Able to observe parish cash counts and other finance related processes or attend finance council meetings on some evenings.
Problem solving, strategic agility, informing, organizing, planning, priority setting, presentation skills, verbal and written communications, ethics and values, integrity and trust, customer focus, and confidentiality.
For consideration, please email cover letter and resume to: