Saint Matthew Catholic Church, located in Franklin, TN, is a growing parish with a talented and energetic staff serving approximately 1,200 families. We are seeking a full-time Music Director.
The Director of Music is responsible for selecting, preparing and providing musical accompaniment for parish liturgies.
This position is responsible for the following
- To lead congregational music on the organ and direct the choirs for three weekend Masses, Holy Days of Obligation, Weddings, Funerals, First Communion, Confirmation, Penance services, Holy Week and other services as needed.
- Select music for all services in collaboration with the Pastor, as they relate to deepening the understanding of the Liturgy. Create and print worship aids.
- Recruit for, plan and lead rehearsals for three adult choirs, kids’ choir and handbell choir. Work closely with Liturgy Choir Director (school employee) and Children’s Choir Accompanist.
- Oversee the coordination of the Music Library, and the distribution and collection of music.
- Oversee ALL copyright reporting, to include; usage of music in worship aids, practice tracks and streaming music to appropriate licensure organizations.
- Oversee the maintenance of the Church instruments; pianos, organ, handbells, carillon bells and melody chimes. To include contracting instrument tuners.
- Maintaining the sound equipment in the Church and equipment used for outdoor events.
- Work with Administrative Assistant to oversee schedule of cantors and psalmists for all services.
- Coordinate contracts for extra musicians as needed.
- Coordinate the lighting in the Church (and gym if applicable) for Liturgies.
- Recruit, coordinate and train volunteers for streaming services. Schedule streaming for website.
- Work closely with Pastoral Associate on extra events during the Liturgy (baptisms, RCIA, etc.).
- Work closely with the Finance Director to create and adhere to the annual music ministry budget.
- Set up for Liturgies and rehearsals.
- Provide content for the bulletin, Levi (quarterly publication), website and other music events as needed.
- Attend parish staff and Liturgy committee meetings.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Must be able to work collaboratively with Pastor and staff.
- Demonstrate exceptional music and technical skills.
- Master’s Degree in Church Music preferred. Minimum Bachelor Degree in Music or similar level of on the job experience required. Reading, transposing and improvising music is essential.
- Preferably has at least 4 years’ experience directing a Catholic Church music program.
- Thorough knowledge of the Liturgy of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Understand the Pastoral nature of the position in regards to choirs and congregations.
- Scheduling software experience preferred.
Please send a current curriculum vitae, cover letter, three references with contact information, and links to on-line recordings of choral conducting and organ work to Leslie Holt at firstname.lastname@example.org.