Reporting Abuse of Adults by Church Personnel
If a person is in imminent danger Call 911
Reporting abuse, mistreatment, or neglect of a Vulnerable Adult
Reporting abuse, mistreatment, or neglect of a Vulnerable Adult Tennessee law (TCA 39-15-509) requires any person who has a reasonable suspicion that a Vulnerable Adult is suffering or has suffered abuse, sexual exploitation, neglect, or financial exploitation shall report said knowledge or suspicion to Adult Protective Services:
- Website: https://reportadultabuse.dhs.tn.gov/
- Phone: 1-888-277-8366
- APS is not just for the elderly. APS is there to help adults 18 years of age or older who because of a mental or physical impairment or advanced age are unable to care for themselves.
How to Report Abuse of a Professional Relationship
Abuse of a professional relationship relates to inappropriate behaviors in a diocesan entity, that involve Church Personnel 18 years and older, such as, but not limited to:
- Physical or mental abuse
- Racial insults
- Derogatory ethnic slurs
- Hate Speech
- Display of offensive materials
- Sexual advances
- Inappropriate or unwanted touching
- Overt or implied sexual comments, or jokes
- Requests for sexual favors
If you see, experience, or suspect sexual or non-sexual abuse of a professional relationship by clergy:
All known or suspected instances of abuse of a professional relationship by clergy should be reported to the Bishops office at 615-783-0761.
All known or suspected instances of abuse of a professional relationship by a layperson should be reported to your pastor, principal, executive director, or human resources office depending on the site of the abuse.
- If the accused is the principal, then the complaint should be filed with the Superintendent of Schools who will then notify the Diocesan Safe Environment Program Administrator.
- If the accused is the executive director at a diocesan entity subject to the direct authority of the Bishop, then the complaint should be filed with the Diocesan Safe Environment Program Administrator. (615-645-9763)
24-Hour Safe Environment Emergency Number